Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cherokee PRCA Rodeo

The 44th Annual Cherokee PRCA Rodeo was held last weekend. This is the Barnes hometown rodeo which began in a pasture north of town until the Chamber of Commerce moved it to the arena where it is still held today!
Miss Teen Rodeo Iowa, Hannah Hilsabeck and I arrived Thursday morning. The Miss Rodeo Cherokee Queen Pageant started later that afternoon. I was one of the judges for the competition. There were 5 contestants and they competed in horsemanship, speeches and personal interviews.
The first performance was Thursday night. We helped out with the calf chasing and even got to chase after a calf and try and get the bandana off the tail. Needless to say, I didn’t get it! We also helped out with the calf chasing Friday night. Throughout the rodeos we signed autographs and mingled with the crowd.
Saddle Bronc rider Wade Sundell with Hannah and me

On Friday morning we had radio interviews and a luncheon at a local business. Hannah and I spent sometime talking with the One Arm Bandit. Mr. John Payne didn’t give us his secrets on training buffalo, but he did say it takes a lot of time and buffalo are very mean!
He is very interesting to listen to.

Saturday morning I was the MC for the Exceptional Rodeo. The contestants had a wonderful time and each one picked out a trophy at the end. After the rodeo Hannah and I attended the re-enactment of a train robbery at the depot, we had lunch and then I headed home for a family wedding. I had a wonderful time and wanted to thank the Cherokee Chamber of Commerce for allowing us to attend. I would also like to thank the Best Western Hotel for providing a place for Hannah and me to stay.

This week I head to the High School Rodeo Finals in Fort Madison to judge the queen competition.

Until next time, “Go into that village over there he told them and just as you enter you will see a colt tied up that has never been ridden, untie him and bring him.” Mark 11:2

Jesus rode that un-broke colt when they had broke ones for him to ride…Jesus was a cowboy! :)

God Bless,
Jordanne

No comments:

Post a Comment