Thursday, February 25, 2010

Silver Spurs Rodeo in Kissimmee, FL

I got sun burnt and I’m happy about it! Normally that would not be the case, but after this winter it was great to be out in the sun!
My trip to Florida was more than I expected; we had so much fun and I met so many wonderful people.
I arrived in Orlando last Wednesday night and was able to meet up with Miss Rodeo Utah, Chris Wade and Miss Rodeo Wisconsin Amanda Breintfield. Twelve other girls from around the country were already there along with Miss Rodeo America, Kelli Jackson.


Miss Rodeo America and I before air boating.


I stayed with Heather Hall, Miss Rodeo Florida and her family. Mark and Julie Hall are such wonderful people. They opened their house to us and made it our home for the week! They even cooked southern grits for us…I did try them, but don’t think I will be eating grits on a regular basis.



Thursday we had four school visits. The children were so excited; we talked about the sport of rodeo, explained a few events, and invited all of them to the Silver Spurs Rodeo.

Thursday night we were able to experience Florida hog hunting! We rode on buggies that looked like over sized 4-wheelers with tractor tires and drove around Deseret Ranch. We only saw one hog; he was rather small and looked like he needed some Iowa corn!




Then on Friday we went air boating on Cypress Lake. We saw alligators, both BIG and small, a few bald eagles and an assortment of birds. After air boating, the Hall’s opened up the house for everyone to enjoy lunch. Friday night was the first rodeo performance and Tough Enough to Wear Pink. All the visiting royalty helped with the grand entry and the tribute to breast cancer awareness. We stopped to eat on our way home from the beach and this friendly alligator was available for pictures.


Saturday morning we all loaded up and headed to Cocoa Beach. It was a little cloudy, but by the time we arrived the sun was shining and we were all able to dip our toes in the ocean.

Saturday night was another performance. We carried our state flags and again took part in the grand entry. Throughout the rodeo we walked around, visited with sponsors and signed autographs.
Some of us with Randy Johnston, he gave the sermon that morning. He works with Reality Ranch Ministry's.

Sunday morning a few of us attended Cowboy Church and then headed to the Special Needs Rodeo. There were over 50 children! I was paired up with Nicholas and his father Allen. We tried our hand at roping then Nicholas rode a steer and horse. He was also able to pet a goat.


Allen said that they had never been to anything like this before, Nicholas had a blast! At the end he received a trophy and bag of goodies. I really enjoyed myself, I love helping with Special Needs Rodeo’s.

Nicholas and I with his trophy.

The rodeo performance was at two on Sunday. Again the royalty helped with the grand entry and signed autographs during the rodeo. There were people from all over the world there; I talked to a few families from England!

After the rodeo we were able to go to Disney World. Miss Rodeo South Dakota, McKenzie Haley meant a family at the Special Needs Rodeo who worked at Disney World. Their daughter just loved the rodeo and was so excited we were going to go to Disney World with her. It was late, but we were able to make it on a few rides before the park closed. We all had so much fun! I can’t thank Mallory and her parents enough for taking us to the park.
All of the girls with Mallory at Disney World.


Thank you to the Silver Spurs Rodeo committee, my host family; Mark and Julie Hall and Mark and Laura Kessler for all of their generosity. I had an experience of a lifetime in Kissimmee and I am truly blessed to have had the opportunity to meet all of these wonderful people. I really appreciate all of their kindness and generosity.

Until next time, “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matthew 21:22

God Bless
Jordanne

No comments:

Post a Comment