Friday, February 5, 2010

Miss Rodeo Iowa 2010

I’m living my childhood dream; my year as Miss Rodeo Iowa 2010 has started! I am so excited to promote the sport that I love and represent the great state of Iowa.

I ran for the title in Fort Madison in conjunction with the Tri-State rodeo last September. My duties as Miss Rodeo Iowa 2010 started right away. I was able to help Lindsey Ahrenholtz, Miss Rodeo Iowa 2009, out at the Waterloo PRCA Rodeo at the end of September. We had a wonderful time and didn’t realize we looked so much alike, but after three people called me Lindsey I thought we might need name tags.





Binion Cervi presented me with roses after being crowned. He along with his family have one of the larges stock companies in rodeo history; Cervi Rodeo Company.


In December I flew out to watch the Miss Rodeo America pageant at the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas. I was able to cheer on Lindsey and BOY do I have big boots to fill. Lindsey looked wonderful and did a fantastic job. It was a great opportunity for me to see what I need to start preparing for to compete for Miss Rodeo America 2011.



Lindsey and I at the Get Acquainted Party.


While in Vegas I was able to attend a bowling party for the all of the ladies in waiting from around the country. We had a great time and I met so many wonderful state queens. I really look forward to all of the traveling to spend time with all of these young women. I would like to thank the Miss Rodeo America board for having the party for us, we really had a great time!

Judy Rogers, MRI President, Shelby Chapman, Miss Teen Rodeo Iowa 2009, me and Paula Jameson, MRI National Director and Teen Director. We are waiting for our car at the New Orleans Hotel.


The first weekend in January I went down to attend Katie Chaffin, Miss Rodeo Illinois, coronation celebration. I had a great time and helped with the live auction. The food was great and Katie had a wonderful turn out!





The second week in January, Katie and I were able to attend the Denver Stock Show and market. Don and Shirley Staver of Afton, Iowa own a western store and were kind enough to let us ride along with them. We traveled in a pick-up so we had to pack everything in totes to go in the back. Katie and I need to start packing a little lighter or we are going to have to start renting a U-Haul!

We arrived in Denver on a Wednesday and stayed with some of their family, Rus and Laurie Dudek. They were so generous in letting us stay with them.
On Thursday Don and Shirley took us to a few western stores and then to the Roper Warehouse. We were so excited when they told us we could buy anything in the warehouse at wholesale price. There were rows and rows of shirts, this place was huge. I will have to say I did keep myself under control:)

Then on Friday we went to the Denver Market; this is a wholesale market for businesses only. Since we were with Staver’s we were able to order at wholesale prices and as queens we were also given a lot of free items, we really got treated like royalty!
We attended the Denver Stock Show and PRCA rodeo on Saturday. There were three performances and I was able to help carry sponsor flags and show off my beautiful chaps made by Cary Vetch of Ankeny. Along with helping carry flags I was able to help with the children’s mutton busting. It was a long day, but we had a great time and really enjoyed the stock show. Jodi Martin did a wonderful job organizing all the visiting royalty and really appreciated all of her hard work.


We were able to attend the Denver Market again on Sunday and Monday morning and for a couple of hours each day Katie and I signed autographs in the Tandy Leather Booth. These gentlemen were so generous and I can’t wait to wear my beautiful belts I received.
A huge thank you to Don and Shirly Staver for allowing us to ride with them, I can’t thank them enough.

I got home late Monday night, despite the fog; I knew I needed to get home to prepare for my coronation. I was very lucky to make it back to Lake City before the big ice storm.

On Wednesday we were hit with lots of ice, the worst storm I’ve ever seen. I didn’t know electrical poles could snap like they did and thousands of people were without power, but thankfully my family had a generator. We went into the community building Friday morning and found that there was still no electricity. As we set-up for my coronation I tried to keep a positive attitude and did lots of praying. Thankfully Saturday morning the electricity was back on! The weather wasn’t the best, but my coronation went very well. There were around 240 people who attended; several from out of state. I can’t thank everyone enough for coming and being so generous. Thank you to all of you who have donated your time, food and auction items. I would also like to thank all of you who bought auction items or gave money donations. What a blessing each of you have been, this was above all of my expectations.

Starting on the left, my dad, Lee and mom Joanne, my brother Evan (middle back) my sister Jayme Kuehl and nephew Nash and my brother-in-law, Nate.

I have more trips and pictures to come, but until next time...

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

God Bless,

Jordanne

No comments:

Post a Comment