Thursday, September 16, 2010

What a busy week and a half!

The last week and a half have been rather busy. I started off in Dayton visiting schools and enjoying lunch with a few of the committee members. Then on Friday I headed to Fort Madison. I stayed at the “Metcalf Hotel” owned and operated by Jeff and Kelli Metcalf. They are so kind and open their home each year for Miss Rodeo Iowa to stay during the hectic weekend.
On Saturday morning I helped with the pancake breakfast and special needs rodeo. I was surprised…there were over 200 contestants! It was a beautiful day and I had a wonderful time helping with the events. The committee does an outstanding job hosting the special needs rodeo and this year marks their tenth year.

After the rodeo I headed back to Dayton. I was able to attend the Dayton Rodeo Saturday and Sunday evening. There was a little rain, but not enough to ruin my “queen hair.”
Sunday night I stayed in Johnston so I was able to get up early and head back to Fort Madison to help with the Little Spurs Rodeo on Monday. I’ve never seen so many excited children. There was mutton busting, steer riding, stick horse barrel racing, goat tying, calf chasing and the greased pig contest.
It was a lot of fun to be there and help out. The announcer thought it would be funny to have the greased pig winner give the queen a hug; needless to say I was covered in Crisco!

Monday night I was honored to judge the Lil Miss Rodeo and All Around Cowboy competition. All of the contestants were so cute, it was a tough competition.
I visited schools on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning. I really enjoy children, so going from room to room talking about my favorite sport was a blast! It was neat to see how many of the students attended the rodeo and remembered the clown and specialty act from last year.

The Miss Rodeo Iowa contestants checked in on Wednesday afternoon. I was able to catch a bit to eat with them before the grand entry. I always look forward to the Fort Madison grand entry as I’m sure most of the spectators do! Each night there was over 400 horses, ponies, donkeys and mules that went through, it’s a rodeo in itself!
What a beautiful sight to see the American flag being brought in from the sky by Bobby Reid. Watching Old Glory come down from above gives me the goose bumps.

After school visits on Thursday Hannah, Rachel Kelderman; Miss National Federation of Professional Bullriders (NFPB) and I met up with the Miss Rodeo Iowa and Teen contestants for lunch. We had a few hours off that afternoon and I was able to do a practice interview with the panel of judges. We were honored to have Dr. Jennifer Schleining-Cerfogli, Tom Nealey and Kelly Azevedo there to judge. On Friday we started off with the horsemanship competition in the drizzling rain. After horsemanship we stopped and had lunch at Hy-Vee and headed back to the hotel to practice for the fashion show and prepare for the speeches and impromptu competition. Friday night was wet! It poured and for the first time since I’ve been to the rodeo the grand entry was cancelled. Hannah and I bundled up in rain coats and headed out. We had a good time and I was surprised to see so many people in the stands.
Saturday we were in the parade and then coronation practice. Coronation was held at the Comfort Inn. Congratulations to Miss Rodeo Iowa 2011, Heidi Ganson and Miss Teen Rodeo Iowa 2011, Charity Howk.
On Sunday morning the new queens along with Hannah and I headed out to serve at a pancake breakfast. I’m very excited for the newly crowned queens; their lives are going to be changed over the next year.

I had a wonderful time in Fort Madison and Dayton and would like to thank both rodeo committees. They both work so hard and put on outstanding shows each year.

Until next time, “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalms 37:4

God Bless,
Jordanne








No comments:

Post a Comment