Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dodge National Circuit Finals Rodeo

My first trip to Idaho for the Dodge National Circuit Finals rodeo was so much fun! Every morning I was able to wake up to the beautiful view of the mountains.
My trip was truly an adventure starting right at the airport in Des Moines. My flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 in the morning, but instead we didn’t leave until 8:30 because Chicago was having thunderstorms. And because of the delay I missed my connecting flight to Salt Lake City. I was lucky enough to get on a flight at 12:45, but that flight ended up not leaving until 1:30 because there was no crew! I missed my ride from Miss Rodeo Utah from the airport to Pocatello, but was able to get on a shuttle that dropped me off a block from my hotel! So after arriving 6 hours late I missed most the kick off party for the rodeo, but I am very thankful that I made it there safe!
Miss Rodeo Florida; Heather Hall, myself, Miss Rodeo Illinois; Katie Chaffin, Miss Rodeo Idaho; Measha Gittins and Miss Rodeo Missouri; Erin Watts

On Wednesday we started the morning off at Holt Arena, practicing for the grand entry. After practice, some of us headed to the Pocatello Care Center. It was so much fun talking with the patients and signing autographs. We also got to take a look at the Life Flight helicopter and take pictures in it!
The rodeo started on Wednesday night, I didn’t carry flags that night so I helped sell programs and walked around signing autographs. I was able to help with the mutton busting at the rodeo as well.
On Thursday we visited some schools, went shopping at some local western stores and a few of us went with Miss Rodeo Florida up the mountain to see the snow. I can’t say I was all that excited about it after all the snow we have had this winter, but we did have fun throwing snowballs and taking pictures. Thursday night was Tough Enough to Wear Pink night at the rodeo. Matt Kenney and Wade Sundell competed and Matt won tie down roping that night with a 7.8!! Neither of them made the short go, but they both did an outstanding job and I really enjoyed watching a couple guys that I know personally…I competed in high school rodeo with both of them.
As a queen and the spokeswomen for the sport of rodeo, we do a lot of other jobs. At a couple rodeo performances a few of us queens watched a little boy, Gator. His dad was a tie down roper and he needed someone to watch his son while he competed. Gator sat with us and even signed autographs for people on some notebook paper we gave him. We had a lot of fun with him! On Friday we visited a nursing home and then signed autographs at the credit union. I carried sponsor flags throughout the rodeo both Friday and Saturday night.
Saturday morning was the special needs rodeo…my favorite! I was paired with Anthony. He loved the roping and also liked to pull the head off of the hay bale, so I did a lot of running after him:) There was a Saturday afternoon performance and then the short go was held Saturday night. Eight people made the short go in each event and then the top four came back for the finals.
My flight home was at 7 AM on Sunday so Miss Rodeo Idaho was nice enough to volunteer to take me to the airport along with a couple other state queens. Since it is a three hour drive, we drove an hour to her house, slept for two and then got up and drove two more hours. So we all basically pulled an all nighter, I haven’t done that since high school prom! By the time I got home on Sunday afternoon, I was pretty tired!

The DNCFR was a great rodeo. The committee works very hard to put on a wonderful rodeo. I can’t thank Carma enough for putting everything together and scheduling events for us throughout the week. I would also like to thank our drivers; there were four wonderful volunteers that drove us to and from events. I rode with Fred Evans all week and he treated us like royalty! Opened the doors for us, picked us up at the front door every time and was the sweetest gentleman! He even had water and candy for us everyday in the van! Somehow Fred just knew I loved candy!!
It was a wonderful experience and I can’t wait for my next trip. I have a few things here in Iowa in the next couple of weeks and then I will be heading to Franklin, Tennessee in May.

Until next time, “If we confess with our mouth, "Jesus is Lord ," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9

God Bless,
Jordanne

No comments:

Post a Comment